CCC High School Ministry
“So Jacob told everyone in his household, “Get rid of all your pagan idols, purify yourselves, and put on clean clothing. We are now going to Bethel, where I will build an altar to the God who answered my prayers when I was in distress. He has been with me wherever I have gone.” So they gave Jacob all their pagan idols and earrings, and he buried them under the great tree near Shechem. As they set out, a terror from God spread over the people in all the towns of that area, so no one attacked Jacob’s family.”
Genesis 35:2-5 NLT
The 5 Footsteps of Jacob!
In Genesis 35:2-5, we are told of 5 steps Jacob took and no harm came near him. In fact, like Jacob, when we also get rid of the idols in our life, become PURE by fully belonging to God and put on CLEAN clothing which is the new nature according to the Image of Jesus Christ, we become terrifying to the demons and to the world! In this beautiful passage from the life of Jacob, we learn the power of being children born of God. My beloved let us meditate on what Jacob did:
1. He summoned and instructed EVERYONE in his household. This refers spiritually to bringing all of our SENSES to obedience to God.
2. He GOT RID of all your pagan IDOLS. This refers to getting rid of all that we worship or consider more important than GOD in our life.
3. He PURIFIED himself and put on clean clothing. This refers to our BAPTISM and its renewal through REPENTANCE.
4. He went to Bethel (the house of God) where he said he will build an ALTAR to the God who answered his prayers when he was in distress. This refers to our connection to the CHURCH the house of God where the altar is. It refers to coming back to our mother the church with thanksgiving and prayers. It refers to our HEART where we pray to and meet with the Lord in secret.
5. He BURIED all their pagan IDOLS and earrings under the TREE near SHECHEM. This is the tree where Abraham built an altar of the Lord when he first came to Canaan. Shechem is also where Dinah the daughter of Jacob was violated. This refers to us COMING to the TREE of the Cross, where God offered Himself as a sacrifice for our SALVATION and where He saved our human race from the violation of the Devil which he committed against us.
So beloved, let us follow in these 5 footsteps of Jacob and let us witness the power of God who terrifies the Devil and the demons of the world and reassures us that no harm can come near us, His children!